9.08.2008

Canning

Any of you who know my grandma Lane know about macaroni and tomato. It is delicious! and I want it every second of the day. The past 3 years my grandma had helped me can my own tomato juice so i could enjoy macaroni and tomato at my home. This year the tomatoes were late and because of that the week that they were on, my grandma was extremely busy and there just wasn't a day we could get together and can. BUT my grandma let me borrow her canning stuff and gave me careful instructions and let me do it at my house. Thank goodness for Tim. He was so excited to help me. Really he was. He woke up early friday morning and took the kids with him to go and buy lids and bands for the jars. He bought the tomatoes and he helped me!  My mom called and was so impressed that Tim was helping. She says guys don't get better that that and that i am one  lucky girl to have him. I told her i guess she is right since it doesn't get more 18th century woman that this to can, I must have an awesome guy to help me do this. I am so grateful too! We started at 3 in the afternoon and finished around 10 pm! It was so long but really so much fun! Bella even helped by putting the tomatoes in the sink. Brigham helped by staying out of the way (that explains the paint all over his body...tim  &  I thought whatever keeps them busy:)  It was so much fun. I loved every second of it. washing the tomatoes, cutting them, stewing them, tim strained them and then filling the jars and sealing them. I loved the smell, oh i loved all of it! Thanks to tim and about 50 calls to my grandma and 1 to my aunt deanna to make sure we were doing it right, it worked we canned 42 quarts and every one but 1 of them sealed! Once again. sorry about the long post. I guess this is what becoming a mom and wife entails for me. Joy over tomato juice:)

12 comments:

beck said...

Macaroni and Tomato...it really isn't the same without homemade canned juice, but i've still been eating it non stop! There was a couple weeks there where that is all I wanted (blame it on those random preggo cravings...) and that is all I had for the most part! Tim is awesome for helping you. Maybe I'll go get my own set of canning stuff, since I don't live near Grandma... :(

Laura said...

Maybe you'd be willing to share the recipe for Macaroni and Tomato?

I bought my own canning stuff about 4 years ago. I was so proud of myself for successfully canning applesauce and pears. There's just something about putting all that time hard work into it that makes the food taste so much better. Don't you think?

I'm totally impressed that your husband helped! The best I could get mine to do was to take the kids somewhere out of my way. I guess that's worth something.

Carrie said...

My mouth is watering watching your pictures. . .I am going to go enjoy some of your famous tomato juice right now at 10:22pm! THANKS!!

Lori said...

It actually sounds pretty good. canning suprised me too, it's kind of fun. I'm impressed Tim helped you. I'm canning peaches and pears with the in-laws this weekend. You helped get me excited for it. Lots of work, but definitely worth it because it's so much better when it's canned.

Lindee said...

very impressive!

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS! I am so glad that you & Tim had a great time canning together.
I too- this year learned how to make homemade raspberry jam with my Mom.

Anonymous said...

hey brynn! i found your blog a long time ago, but then when i went to look at it again, i couldn't remember how i got to it. but i found it again on noells page, so i hope you don't mind me popping in once in a while to see whats new with you and your gorgeous family.

The Bucks said...

You are halfway to the Celestial Kingdom, all you need is a clothes line. I'm impressed with your mad canning skills. It looks so yummy!

Dave*Jenn*Amelia said...

Good job!! I've only canned a little, but easy things like peaches. That is awesome that Tim helped. I am impressed. Have you started your house? To answer your question, Oprah was different just in the sense that we thought she would be more friendly. She hardly talked to the audience, she looked old, and tired. It was fun, but not amazing.

Laura said...

I could not can anything if I wanted to! So way to go:) Way to go Tim for wanting to help you. I am not sure if macaroni and tomato sounds to good, but maybe it would be good.

Anonymous said...

Hi Brynne-
This is Becky's friend Chelcie. I just clicked on your blog after looking at bec and her cute cute tummy. i just wanted to say after spending a few minutes on your blog, I think you are amazing! and I love canning too!

Veronica said...

Sounds yummy. Definately impressed on the fact that your husband helped. Canning is fun, i just don't have stuff to do it, but maybe one day.